Total Pageviews

Friday, June 24, 2011

To Run or Not to Run....

I have been wondering whether to run or not to run again- that is a very good question!  My first half marathon experience ended with my hip muscles being torn and 4 weeks of intense physical therapy.  (Not fun!)  My second half marathon experience ended with my thyroid being removed and having thyroid cancer (also not highly recommended).  I have to say I'm a little worried what the universe will throw my way if I attempt a third time....

On the other hand, I see crazy people running in the Las Vegas heat everyday.  The other day I saw a woman running outside in 106 degree weather (that's 41.1 degrees Celsius for all my Canadian friends).  I see people running outside all the time here - no matter how hot it gets.  Then I feel a little pang.  Not that I love running by any means.  More of an I-could-do-that-if-I-wanted-to thought. 

So last night I did run 2.25 miles straight on the treadmill.  I was inside, at the gym, with air conditioning - still sweating like a pig - but I did it.  And it wasn't too bad.....compared to running outside in the extreme heat.  I won't say that I'm completely converted to running, but there's not other exercise that will shape you, hurt you, test you, strengthen you, or even scare you. 

While I'm not training for anything in particular, I decided that I've taken long enough off.  It's time to push myself again to see what I'm made of.  Besides you never know if I'm crazy enough to challenge the universe one more time......